Sunday, August 29, 2010

31 weeks

I had a major freakout when I thought I was leaking amniotic fluid this week. It turned out to be an infection easily cured with OTC meds. This close call got me inspired to complete the tasks that still needed to be done in preparation for this baby. I needed to buy a carseat, and that I ordered online this evening (check!), and we need to come up with a boy name. Daniel's in charge of the first name and the middle name's up to me, so I am going to try to come up with a list that I like to present to him for his vote (we always have veto rights on each other's choices). I find name-searching to be tedious and annoying and this is why I haven't done it yet.
At my emergency midwife appointment yesterday, I went ahead and did my regular checkup stuff. I had some protein in my urine and leukocytes (related to the infection), baby had turned head-down, yay!, and I had lost 3 lbs since my last appointment, bringing me down to a total gain of 15 lbs for the pregnancy so far. My midwife told me to be sure not to restrict my food, which is never a problem for me because I love to eat. I've never gained this little during a pregnancy before. I gained 42 with Chloe and 31 with Auron and I don't see myself doubling my weight gain in the next 9 weeks or so.

After she reviewed my ultrasound with the perinatologist, my midwife gave me the green light for an out-of-hospital delivery. I am so relieved to have this information so that I can finally plan my birth. I am clear to order my birthing kit and pack my birthing center bag. I don't have to worry about having a babysitter for what might be days at a time for the kids and have the option to have them there with me when I deliver. For this, I am keeping and open mind. If things go smoothly and work out, then we may bring them with us to the birthing center. I don't want to have any expectations about this so that I can try to make the best decision possible for the time, so I'm trying not to think about it very much except for the fact that I want someone to come with us to take care of them. But who??

So my pregnancy update checklist for week 31 is this:

•How far along?: 31 weeks.


•Total weight gain: 15 lbs. Thank you veggie subs and being way too busy!

•How big is baby?: depending on where you search, the baby is about 3- 3.5 lbs and can be up to 18 inches long.

•Maternity clothes?: Mostly, but I do have some jeans that ride low enough to wear under the belly.

•Stretch marks?: No new ones as far as I can tell, although there may be one on my breast...

•Sleep?: Sleep has not been great lately. I can't seem to get into a comfortable position and something ends up aching. Once I finally get in a good position, one of the kids always wakes me up for something. UGH!

•Best moment this week?: Finding out that the baby is okay- no premie so far, that he/she is vertex again, and finally being able to plan my sweet birthing center birth.

•Movement?: Of course movement is getting more intense and the baby goes through this moments of hurricane shaking. I'm not sure what's going on in there, but I can tell that this child is getting very strong!

•Food cravings?: Same as always, foot-long vegetable subs with extra cheese and mayo.

•Labor signs?: Besides the false leaking, no. I did have a few painful contractions last week when I was feeling completely exhausted physically and emotionally, but a 2-hr nap fixed that right up.

•Belly button in or out?: Forever out. But at least it doesn't hurt like it used to!

•What I miss: Being able to maneuver around without being slow or something aching.

•What I'm looking forward to: Getting closer to delivery time. I am excited about this birth!

•Milestone: I am now in single digit weeks! 63 days and counting although I am expecting to go late like I did with Chloe.

2 comments:

  1. How exciting! I am glad you'll get to have your birthing center experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marcie! I'm definitely looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete