Friday, May 7, 2010

They're Freee!

I put up with the pain of Auron nursing up to this point but I just couldn't handle it anymore. He's officially weaned. :( My goal was to breastfeed through my pregnancy and tandem nurse, letting him self-wean.

It took about as long as it did with Chloe when I weaned her (about 3 1/2 months) but he is 8 months older than she was when I went through it with her so I think he was more ready. I decided to take the plunge on April 24th which was his 26 month birthday. He was down to about 5 or so feedings a day and it was mostly at night, so that night I decided I was done. I expected that he was not going to handle it well, so I built up a lot of patience and compassion and geared up for a night of mal-content. We set up a bed in the living room so that Chloe wasn't kept up with Auron's yelling/crying/freaking out and we got to work.

I told him that Boo Boo was all done and he cried. I held him and sang to him and he ended up going to sleep after 30 minutes. Not bad. I think Chloe cried about the whole night the first night. That was 9:00 and he woke up at 3 and asked for it. I told him that it was all done since he had forgotten and he just got pissed. He threw himself around for a while until Daniel (who was already up) took him into the living room to distract him with TV. That was it for the major tantrums but he did continue to ask for it over the past 2 weeks, but he doesn't freak out that much when I say no.

Now he sleeps much better; wakes up fewer times at night and seems to be taking longer naps. He's even started kissing the Boo Boos goodnight!

It will be nice to have a 5 month break before breastfeeding for another 2+ years. After this new baby's done, I will have racked up 5 1/2 years of breastfeeding! That's some good cancer protection.

No comments:

Post a Comment