Tuesday, January 26, 2010

"But what is the Dad supposed to do?"

While teaching a Benefits of Breastfeeding class today, I was asked by a father-to-be, "But what is the Dad supposed do?" I explained to him that he does not have a direct responsibility during pregnancy besides supporting his lady and that breastfeeding is simply an extension of pregnancy and his job is to continue to support her through that journey. "Besides that," I continued, "everything else that you do with a baby is still availble for you to participate in."

Why is it so necessary for persons other than Mom to feed the baby? Why can't they feel fulfilled in just holding and loving the baby, why does it have do be feeding?

In fact, I appreciated the directness of this gentleman because it meant that he truly cared about his baby. I wish women were a little more outspoken like this so that we could have genuinely honest conversations about breastfeeding. I think if this were the case, many more issues would be solved and the result might just be higher rates of breastfeeding.

Any comments?

No comments:

Post a Comment